www.top20training.com 651-308-4876 email@example.com
School Culture: Reduce Negativity and Create a Positive Learning Environment.
CREATING AN EFFECTIVE AND HEALTHY Culture of Learning
Top 20s Reduce Negativity: Eliminating Thought Circles and Tornadoes
Beware of Tornadoes: The Power of Social Influence towards Negativity
- Beware of Tornadoes:
Watch: knowing where conditions are right for producing Tornadoes.
Warning: the first sign of a Tornado occurs when a negative statement is made or someone not present is mentioned in a negative way.
Touchdown: you are pulled in and become a participant.
- Protection from Tornadoes: A. Identify the Tornado as such
- Listen without taking it to heart
- Respond by saying, “I hear you”
- Switch to a positive topic
- Leave the scene
- What am I left with after I’ve been in a Tornado? What do I feel inside?
- What am I experiencing internally that makes me susceptible to Tornadoes?
Top 20s Create a Culture of Safety and Trust
4 Components of an Effective and Healthy Culture:
- Job #1: Help Others Succeed
How could I help others succeed in ways that I am not currently doing?
- Communicate ‘You Matter’
- Listen to understand.
- Value differences.
- Practice 4-at-the-Door: Name-Name
How do I specifically communicate “You matter”?
How do I communicate “You don’t matter”?
- Honor the Absent
Honor the Absent: Speak well of those who are not present.
Dishonor the Absent: Speak negatively of those who are not present.
- Be a Problem Solver, Not a Problem Namer
- Keep My Lake Clean:
(1) How do I communicate with a ‘Dump Here’ sign?
(2) How do I or could I communicate ‘No Dumping Here’?
- Treat Everyone’s Name as Sacred
- Don’t Add Fuel to the Fire: Say, “OK” or “I hear you.”
- Say, “Ouch!”
- Practice the 2-out-of-3 Rule: (1) Say someone’s name.
(2) Say something negative.
(3) Say it to someone else.
- See the Problem, Own the Problem
Assessing Our Culture:
8-10 Significantly present in our culture
6-7 Often present in our culture
4-5 Seldom present in our culture
1-3 Significantly absent in our culture
_____ Job #1: Help Others Succeed
_____ Communicate ‘You Matter’
_____ Honor the Absent
_____ See the Problem, Own the Problem
Top 20 Teachers Practice Kaizen: Continual Improvement
Action Plan: What have I become aware of that I now want to…